case study:

Angry Fit

Solving a bike fitting conundrum.

I worked with Angry Catfish Bicycle Shop to improve the usability of their Angry Fit application that is used during a bicycle fitting appointment. I took their existing process and made improvements based on the findings through evaluations and user research.


The Challenge

Angry Catfish is a high-end bicycle shop that prides themselves on creating the best experience possible for their customers.

My challenge was to take the Angry Fit application and make improvements so their employees can focus on the customer and their needs during a bike fitting appointment.

The Approach

I started by conducting a cognitive walkthrough of the application to better understand the tasks and subsequent actions the employee would take during a bike fitting. I also created a user research plan for an in-person evaluation of Angry Fit.

I used the contextual research findings to improve the usability and design of the application by sketching and wireframing my designs. Finally, I created an interactive prototype of the meaningful changes to the functionality, interactions, and visual design of the product. 


 

Cognitive Walkthrough

The first step in this project was to conduct a cognitive walkthrough of the application. To do this, I started by reviewing how an employee would walk through a bike fitting appointment. I created a list of tasks an employee would take and the following actions that would need to be done for them to complete that task.

For each action, I answered four questions:

  • Will the user try to achieve the right effect? (Does the app intent match their mental model?)

  • Will the user notice that the correct action is available? (Is it visible?)

  • Will the user associate the correct action with the effect to be achieved? (Does the language match?)

  • If the correct action is performed, will the user see that progress is being made toward solution of the task? (Is there sufficient/appropriate feedback?)

 

 
 
cognitivewalkthrough.jpg
 

User Research

 

I created an outline for the primary research that we planned on conducting with our intended user of the application (an employee of Angry Catfish). The plan took into consideration the context of my walkthrough, what I wanted to learn from the user, and what I was looking to confirm.

The main goals of our research were:

  • Confirm that the Angry Fit app is an improvement over their current paper version of tracking and entering data for a bike fitting.

  • Improve usability of app.

  • Improve fitting data collection and retention process.

The team started by doing a mix of a contextual inquiry and task analysis by having the employee of Angry Catfish walk through a bike fitting while using Angry Fit. We asked questions and observed their actions as they completed the tasks.

After the appointment, I created a list of opportunities for improvement that I could implement in my wireframes.


 

Site Flow & Wireframes

I created a site flow to give a bird's eye-view. This high level view demonstrates the size and complexity of the application.

Based on the findings from the research that was conducted, I also created wireframes with my suggested improvements.  

 
Artboard.jpg

 

Interactive Prototype

I took my existing wireframes and created an interactive prototype within inVision, I was able to show the enhancements on the functionality, new interactions, and the visual design.

 
iPadangry1.jpg
iPadangry2.jpg
 

 

Conclusion

I really enjoyed creating a site flow and thinking through the interactions. I would follow up my prototype by implementing more changes and creating a higher fidelity version that showed more functionality improvements. I would also do more user-testing with other employees at Angry Catfish to make sure that my changes I implemented are in line with their expectations of how the application should function.